JRock3x8's Life Musings

Friday, July 04, 2008

(Second) Update to Current Project









Ok, so remember how I said Live was crashing a lot with this project? Yah, so I pretty much lost about half of the update from June 22nd to July 3rd, because the files wouldn't open anymore.

But I learned a couple of things along they way :

#1) Do NOT run duplicate tracks of the same plug-in especially if that plug-in is a large and complicated software synth (oxytocin in this case). The reason I did this was so that I could render the high notes differently from the rhythm track in terms of track panning and all that jazz.

#2) If you do crash your Ableton Live Set file, there is a way to recover it, but it doesn't recover it completely - delete or rename your .cfg files associated with the project and relocate your plug-ins so Ableton can't find them. In this case, oxytocin was causing all the problems so I really only needed to "un-plug" that one.

#3) If you think your file might crash, RENDER BEFORE YOU EXIT. The file I had last night at 10pm was just about perfect, much better than the version you hear on the web page, but I didn't render it and now I can't open the source file anymore, so I'm stuck. Bummer.

Back on the music side of things, Julie (my wife) said the beginning of the previous update was "boring". Ouch. So I snazzed it up a bit. The version you hear on this blog is still not 100% right but I have a barbecue to go to so it will have to wait. I also "fixed" the ending but it's still not quite right to me. Again, I really liked what I had last night but that will have to wait.

HAPPY FOURTH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home