JRock3x8's Life Musings

Sunday, August 17, 2008

First Draft - New Project









Ok, so this month's challenge is to create a DJ mix. I have to be totally honest - this is not my thing. I spent a lot of time listening to B96 as a kid and while I thought what those guys did (and I have no idea who "those guys" were) was very interesting, I've never really enjoyed doing it myself.

My aforementtioned college roommate and I tryied to do our own version of NIN's "Ruiner" that just came off sounding not very good. I've never had a lot of success emulating others. I don't know if it's because I don't understand Music that well or what but I've only ever been able to write original stuff that sounds halfway decent to my own ears.

So to start this project I started going through my iTunes playlist and ripping out all my favorite parts out of my top rated songs. Before long, I had an awful mess of mismatched crap. Finally, I came to The Crystal Method's "Roll It Up" in which I found six different clips that I liked. And I started to figure out this was going to have to be a slightly different project than I initially had in mind.

I was amazed at how some of these songs seemingly go out of their way to provide you with the material that you need to remix them while others are next to impossible because of all the weird noise effects thrown in (I'm looking at You, Michael Cretu).

In any event, here's my first draft. I don't have transitions, a few of the samples need to be re-done and some of the song needs to be ripped out entirely, but it's a start and that will have to do for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home