JRock3x8's Life Musings

Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Greatest Video Game Never Made...

I really hate to admit this, but I'm a big sci fi nerd. Yah, I know it kind of goes with the territory of video games, Star Wars, and Halo, but it's still not cool to come out and say it.

One of my passions in the world of sci-fi is the writings of a man by the name of Timothy Zahn. Sound familiar? Timothy Zahn gained fame (and my readership) by writing the popular post-Classic Trilogy Star Wars books (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command). While I really enjoyed these books, it wasn't until I started reading his other material that I REALLY started to gain an appreciation for Timothy Zahn. I liked his work so much that I started a website that is still viewable at the wayback machine at archive.org : http://web.archive.org/web/19991021224740/www.wauknet.com/jcwillia/. Lately, I've been thinking of pulling all that text down and re-creating the site.

My candidate for the best videogame never made is the Cobra series (Cobra, Cobra Strike, and Cobra Bargain - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743488474/102-2957618-7311302?v=glance). A Cobra is a futuristic soldier somewhat like Master Chief of Halo, but all of the enhancements are in the inside - night vision, binocular vision, enhanced hearing, servo-enhanced limbs and joints, computer targeting system, fingertip lasers and my personal favorite - the anti-armor laser mounted in the lower leg (fires through the heel). My favorite part about these books is that the characters are frequently put in positions where they don't want to use their powers so they don't give away who they are. That's what makes videogames really interesting in my opinion - that piece that makes you think - "Okay I CAN do it this way, but is there another way that might be more effective?"

The game wouldn't necessarily be a shooter. I'm picturing something more along the lines of Knights of the Old Republic where the combat is a turn-based roll the dice type thing. Shooters are fun, but they can get old after a while and with Halo already dominating the modern day shooter world, I would see no reason to try and chase that path.

I can't help thinking after reading these books that they would make fantastic video games. I know I would buy it.

1 Comments:

  • I have not read that book. I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

    FYI - I was on vacation for all of last week :) no internet, no XBox = very sad.

    I did get to spend a lot of quality time with my daughter though.

    By Blogger Jason, at 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home