JRock3x8's Life Musings

Thursday, March 09, 2006

JRock's 40 minute review of Burnout : Revenge

Ok, so as usual, first things first. I loved loved loved loved loved Burnout : Takedown and I thought after I finished all the game modes that I should sell it because I really didn't want to try multiplayer (we'll cover that in another post).

I didn't want to give the game away though so I priced it on half.com for $5 above any other used copy. Fine. So I come home one day and my wife says oh I changed the price on Burnout and sold it. Cough. Sputter. Wheeze.

To make matters worse, my jonesing for some great Burnout action got really bad two weekends ago when I played Takedown on my brother's XBox. I don't own an XBox anymore and it's not a backwards compatible title so I thought - Sweet, Burnout : Revenge comes out March 8th - I'll get that.


Huff, huff, huff-sorry for the exorbitantly long intro there. So I had some pretty high expectations coming into this game, and while it's gorgeous and slick as hell with the frame rate, it's not Takedown.

Let me explain. In Takedown, my wife and I played the Crashbreaker modes almost exclusively. In Revenge, you kind of have to go through the "World Tour" in the way they guide you which takes away an element of freedom imo.

Also, there doesn't appear to be a single player road rage mode or freestyle modes of the other race / crash types. I've long since sold my 53" HDTV and playing road rage on split screen is really not all that much fun on a 27" TV. Again, it's about personal gamer freedom.

Last but not least, the default difficulty is MUCH harder than Takedown. Taking down cars in Takedown is like taking candy from a baby - maliciously satisfying and easy as pie. Taking down cars in Burnout is much harder as they actually try to avoid you when you have them in a bad spot and they dont squeeze up against the walls like watermelon seeds like in Takedown.

Hence, this review became a 40 minute review instead of my normal 60 minute review, because I quickly began to lament the fact that this was not the game I loved. If Takedown becomes a backwards compatible title, this one goes on sale the next day. Until then, I'll just keep playing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home