JRock3x8's Life Musings

Monday, December 19, 2005

2005 Year in Review - January 2005

Oh it's that time again unfortunately. Like Thanksgiving leftovers or that woman you woke up next to in college whose name you're not sure of (Brenda? I'm pretty sure it was Brenda...), it's the inescapable year end review.

In January 2005, I played Mech Assault 2. And I played it again. And it didn't get any better. I began cursing myself with a deep seeded rage for falling victim to the hype machine of fanboys who were dumbstruck over just how bleeping awesome this game was going to be. And I played it again. I swore to myself the game would get better the more I played it. My New Year's Resolution not to spend ANY money on any forms of digital or electronic entertainment just made things worse. More on that resolution when we get to November.

In the video game news world, the PSP was just something American gamers envied that their Japanese counterparts already had. The swooning hype on this machine was growing to a dull roar.

Then there were these crazy rumours about something called XBox Next, widely expected at CES but ultimately a no-show. Looking back, this might have been a forewarning of the hysterical shortage to come.

The launch date for XBox Next is first rumoured for late 2005 when EA lets it slip that that's when they are shipping the new NFS game. Doh.

World of Warcraft begins its mass assimilation of the civilized world. Crazy people. All 5 million of you. Seriously crazy.

Regrettably, Playboy : The Mansion goes gold. Gold, member. uhhhh. nevermind...I gotta go read in bed... What are you looking at? What?!? Reading stimulates the, uh, mind. Yah...

ESPN goes to the dark side, joining forces with EA and effectively ending one of the greatest video game sports franshises of all times. Rest in peace, Sega Sports.

Larry Probst of EA, aka Captain Obvious, asserts that next generation games will cost more. Duh. This was more of a political move, trying to soften the blow later on. He's not as dumb as he looks. Look at his picture...seriously.

As we turn the corner to February, WoW and PSP gear up some more, my 30th birthday comes to pass, and chickens cross the road...why did they do it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home