JRock3x8's Life Musings

Monday, January 02, 2006

JRock's 60 minute review of DOA4

(sigh) I am NOT good at fighting games.

Ok, so I have always envied my friend Rob who could make an entire arcade's worth of people watch him play Mortal Kombat for hours on one quarter. Me? I throw my quarter in there against 5-year-olds and I'm back to watching in less time than it takes for you to get a Pepsi out of the fridge.

All this I knew when I purchased DOA4 today. Warning to all casual gamers - this game is going to punish you right out of the box. It is an extremely intense aggresive fast game, and if hyper reflexes are not your thing, then stay away.

This game owned me for the first 30 minutes that I played it. So much so that I went to the settings screen hoping to find an "easy" mode. Yah, not so much. You get "Normal", "Hard", and "Very Hard". I don't want to even think about what that last one is like. I spent 10 minutes with a practice dummy, then went back to the story mode. More ownage.

Then I tried just one maneuver, trying to get the timing of it down a little better. I used the Bruce Lee rip-off / tribute (depending on how you look at it) character, Jann Lee. And I just kicked and kicked and kicked. And you know what? Bruce, er, Jann Lee is pretty good at kicking. I think I got through 10 rounds of Survivor just kicking.

The graphics are nice but they don't exactly make you feel like the MGS4 or Killzone 2 trailers. I'm sort of in agreement with Ken Kutaragi that the 360 looks a lot like an XBox 1.5, at least as far as graphics go. Fortunately for MS, as long as Sony ignores the online player, I will never buy one of Sony's consoles.

Anyways, it's a really fun gaming experience, but the last thing I have to say is "Ow" - my thumb hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home