JRock3x8's Life Musings

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Switching from Cable to Dish

I am completely fed up with cable's high prices. My wife and I have been dealing with Comcast for over two years now, mostly with no complaints.

However, this last year, they failed for about a week and a half to restore our service. My wife called to complain and they told her they don't issue credits for service outages. I made them issue us a credit but that was the end of cable for my wife.

For me, it's all about the price. When I see them offering silly cheap offers on TV again and again and again, I get mad. And I finally got mad enough to do something about it. We had been looking at DirecTV for a while and they finally got us with their free HD DVR deal.

So we set up service with DirecTV and it was fairly easy - I asked them to make a substitution on their free 3 months of 3 premium channels and they couldn't, so I said no big deal - I'm not going to complain about free. They even told me I could call back and cancel the free installation if the cable company suddenly decided they wanted to play ball.

Surprise, surprise - Comcast did not want to play ball. Instead they chose to argue with me almost to the point of self-righteousness about the "VALUE" of what they were offering me. And I reply "I just want you to say 'no' if you're not willing to take down the price." They weren't having any of it. They insisted that I see the "VALUE" of their offer. They quoted "500" channels. Finally, I took the bait and lost my temper. I told them their "500" channels were a JOKE and that DirecTV actually had more channels that I wanted to watch for less money. When I finished my little spiel there was no one on the other side of the call. They hung up on me.

And I'm thinking to myself, preaching "VALUE" to someone who is calling to threaten to cancel their account because it costs too much is probably not the best approach. But then again, they are the cable company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home