JRock3x8's Life Musings

Sunday, March 26, 2006

JRock's 60 (okay 120) minute review of GRAW

Lots of luck trying to form an opinion on this game in one hour. There's just too much to learn.

Anyways, I finally picked up GRAW and by and large, I'm enjoying it.

The visual presentation is just unreal at times. But pretty graphics are worth about 5 minutes of good karma in my opinion. After that, you better have some really great gameplay. Fortunately, this game succeeds in that regard. There were some bizarre glitches in my first few minutes - a guy hiding behind a barrel would inexpicably flash above the barrel with his arms spread wide like a "T" and then disappear. These episodes were very few and far between.

It took me a good long time to get used to the controls after being a die hard Halo guy for so long. This reminds me of people in MechAssault2 multiplayer who would climb out of their mechs by hitting "Y" because that was the weapon switch button for Halo. The one thing that is really frustrating me is switching weapons. For whatever reason, it doesn't cycle among your 3 choices - it just toggles between your 2 most recent choices. To select the third weapon takes way too long and could really cost you your life in a firefight.

I've read people who have said this game is really hard and at least from the first level - I really don't follow that line of thinking. As long as you protect your drone from enemy fire, you can almost always have the first shot in any fight. I did get gunned down fairly quickly in my first shot at helicopter gunner, but I was more interested in replaying the first level again - which brings me to my next point.

The replayability of this game is awesome. You can hit your enemies from so many different angles in so many different ways it's really fun to hit one guy, watch the other two guys react and then hit the other two from a different angle. Grenades, headshots from afar, close-in guerrilla tactics - it's all a lot of fun.

I sometimes felt that CoD2 was way too chaotic but it's war so I get that it should be that way. This game is a thinking man's game not a shooting man's game. You have to know where your enemy is before you go in with guns blazing.

I am looking forward to playing this game online as multiplayer sounds like lots of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home